Saturday: 10h - 17h30
Saturday: 11h, 12h, 14h, 15h, 16h, 17h
Saturday: 14h com Arq. João Santa Rita
No reservation required; first-come, first-served
Maximum 20 people per visit
Built in 1523 by Brás de Albuquerque – son of the Viceroy of India, Afonso de Albuquerque, the project was undertaken following a trip to Italy, where the owner came across the Palace of Diamonds in Ferrara and Palace Bevilacqua, in Bologna. The latter is considered to be the source of the façade’s distinctive design using stone prisms shaped as “diamond edges”. A rare example of Renaissance architecture in Lisbon, some scholars attribute it to Francisco de Arruda. The 1755 earthquake caused the top storeys to collapse, thus obliterating their more elaborate, lavish sections. In 1983, under the auspices of the17th European Exhibition of Arts, Sciences and Culture, the project by architect Santa Rita restored the building’s overall volumetric arrangement, while proposing a critical interpretation of what was lost, based on historical records. In June 2012, Casa dos Bicos became the headquarters of the José Saramago Foundation.