Saturday: 12h30, 13h30, 14h30, 15h30, 16h30
Sunday: 12h30, 13h30, 14h30, 15h30, 16h30
Saturday: 11h30 com Arq. Isabel Domingues
Sunday: 11h30 com Arq. João Appleton
No reservation required; first-come, first-served
Maximum 20 people per visit
Built on a former basalt quarry with a water spring, the Lisbon Greenhouse was designed by artist and architect Raul Carapinha and unveiled in 1933. In the 1940s, Keil do Amaral’s project for Eduardo VII Park resulted in adaptive changes, in collaboration with Edgar Cardoso, an engineer. In 2013, an intervention took place to fix the roof metal support structure, which had reached a state of technical collapse. Keeping the exact location of the pre-existing pillars, the new structure was redesigned according with the new elevation envisaged for the surrounding area, so as to not compromise future possibilities, such as extending the higher elevation or connecting with other structures with the complex. This ‘quiet’ intervention preserved much of its while ensuring the integrity and placement of the species during and after the construction works.