Sunday: 10h, 11h, 15h, 16h
(Português) 11h e 16h com Arq. Vítor Sá - Barbas Lopes Arquitectos
No reservation required; first-come, first-served
Maximum 50 people per visit
Built in 1820 by the first Count of Farrobo, it was fitted with gas light in 1892. Destroyed by a raging fire in 1862, it remained a charred wreck until 2009. The theatre we see today is the result of rehabilitation works carried out on the ruins of the main seating area and stage, designed by Gonçalo Byrne, Patrícia Barbas e Diogo Seixas Lopes. In the façade, four white marble columns with sphinxes support the peristyle. The triangular pediment integrates an unadorned tympanum, a sculpture of Eratus and an inscription in Latin that reads “Hic Mores Hominum Castigantur” (Here shall the mores of men be punished).